Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Why Would Wordpress Not Report Available Plugin Updates?

Discussion in 'WordPress Questions & Support' started by Kevin Muldoon, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I did a review of WP RSS Aggregator this week. The developer kindly sent me the premium addons to try them out, but after the review was published he noted that I was using an older version of the plugin.

On closer inspection, my blog was using the old version, but my WordPress test website installed the latest version.

I got a notice on my blog today that the latest version of Genesis was available and it updated automatically. So it seems that theme updates are working fine but plugin updates are not. For whatever reason WordPress is not saying that there are plugin updates available.

Is there any reason why WordPress would not advise me of new plugin updates? Bear in mind that this has never happened in the past.

I thought it could maybe be a cron issue, but if that was the case it would be unlikely that theme updates would be available.

Kevin

2. It MAY be that the Stable Version tag is incorrect. Generally you can write it as being "trunk", which is always the latest version. However if you don't and specify a version number, that will be the latest, even if trunk is more.

It's caught me out a few times. That may be it.

3. Are you referring to the plugin having a stable version tag or WordPress itself?

I have checked some other plugins and the same issue is happening. For example, Yoast SEO isn't updated to the latest version and there are no update notifications about it. WordPress is saying all plugins are up to date when many are dated.

I recently upgraded to the latest version of PHP on my server. That's the only thing I have changed recently. Not sure how that would cause any problems though.

4. If I were you, I'd quickly install a test WP site, add few of the plugins from the current site (copy plugin directories using cPanel file manager) to this test site, and see if WP informs about plugin updates.

Would hardly take 10 min. or less.

5. Hi Raspal.

I have most of the same plugins installed in a test area I use for testing plugins and they are all updating fine. This suggests it's either my WordPress installation or my server setup.

Kevin

6. I looked into this issue more. I deactivated each plugin one by one and reactivated them. It was being caused by WP Rocket. I had been using an older version and it appears that when I upgraded to PHP 7 it has stopped WordPress from being able to check for updates.

WP Rocket doesn't seem to be working at all now and isn't reducing page sizes. It looks like that version of WP Rocket just doesn't work with PHP 7.

I'm going to try some other free caching plugins as I haven't changed my caching plugin in years. If I can't find anything suitable I'll just buy a license for WP Rocket again.

7. The old game, revisited!

Caching plugins are the culprits most of the times. And we mostly forget this.

When I changed to PHP 7, there were some problems too, so I then selected PHP 5.6.

8. Yeah caching plugins can always mess things up a little, but they are vital for reducing page loading times. I'm going to have to do some more testing and look at what the best solution is at the moment :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.