Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Why Youtubers And Bloggers Need To Stay Focused On One Niche

Discussion in 'The YouTubers Lounge' started by Kevin Muldoon, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A reminder of the importance of keeping your website or YouTube channel focused on only one or two topics.

What's your thoughts on this? :)

Kevin

2. I'll listen full video at home, but for now I have one question.
    What is your main microphone? I've seen few in your videos and have to tell that sometimes (especially when you're not close to it) you sound very echoed (don't know the exact word), like you're inside a giant box.

Maybe a wireless microphone would make you sound better? I really like how a youtuber Wranglerstar sounds and he is using wireless microphone :)

Just a suggestion.

3. Hey Kris.

It depends on where I am recording.

The microphone I recorded this with is the VP83. It is a fantastic microphone and perfect for this kind of video. The problem is that I set the gain level too low on my audio recorder when I recorded it so when I increased the gain I got a bit of an echo. Echoes are more inclined to happen in my kitchen because of the acoustics, but it can happen in my office too.

This video was recorded using the exact same microphone and doesn't suffer from echo as much because I had the gain level setup better,

I'm not a massive fan of using lavalier mics if I'm honest. I've tried them in the past and always found them to be a pain to setup. I may revisit that in the future though.

Kevin

4. What exactly is the value of a subscriber?

This isn't (entirely) a rhetorical question - I'm truly curious. Is there any value in having 100 "subscribers" vs 100 people who simply know you're going to post a new video every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday around 3pm - and visit your channel at that time? Obviously, if you're looking to really sell your brand to advertisers, being able to point out to subscribers is easier than pulling up spreadsheets of data showing you consistently get 10k views per video in the first 24 hours - but otherwise I don't see any value (and I don't believe any regular members here get that type of traffic).

I bring this up because if you can teach your audience to view playlists (instead of simply "subscribe"), and upload to these channels on a consistent basis - say, gaming on Monday and Wednesday, Web Tech on Tues/Thurs - there's no need to worry about losing subscribers. I know Postmodern Jukebox is going to release a new view on Thursday, XKCD (not a youtube channel, but same idea) will put out a new comic every Monday/Wednesday/Friday, generally by 9am. I've been trained to view their sites on these days at the same time. They don't have me as a subscriber, but they are generating ad revenue from me nonetheless.

I think the best thing you can do to grow a consistent audience is to teach them to come back often, without having to remind them (via a weekly newsletter, RSS feed, etc.). It's fine to use the various notification tools before a user is "dedicated" to you, however you also shouldn't overly rely on them. There's no need to ask users to subscribe at the end of a video - most people know how to use youtube now, they'll subscribe if they think it's worth it - but a simple reminder of when users can expect your next piece of content (and possibly a teaser) can do wonders.

5. You make a good point about reminding people when the next video will come out. It's not something I do because I don't rigidly stick to a publishing schedule.

You should not, however, underestimate how poor the general public are with the internet. It is obvious to us to click the subscribe button, but not to everyone. Have a look at your Facebook feed to see how every article being shared is written by an eight year old child.

My girlfriend was telling me the other day about how her little boy watches a YouTube channel which always says "Please give a thumbs up" at the start of the video and he always does it immediately (Granted, the viewing habits of a four year old boy may not be a good example here).

Asking people to subscribe at the end of a video isn't going to see subscription rates go through the roof, but it should help convince some people to subscribe. A large number of YouTube viewers do not subscribe to anyone and part of the reason is because they don't even know how subscriptions work. They probably don't even notice the subscribe button. A simple call to action can encourage some people to subscribe. When you're starting out, those additional subscribers can make a big difference.

When you reach a certain level, perhaps asking people to subscribe is not as important, but YouTube channels with millions of subscribers still do it and the reason is because it works.

I don't ask people to subscribe in every video. I used to say it all the time, but now I just say thanks for watching and place text at the end encouraging them to subscribe,

From a financial point of view, there is no difference between two channels with a different number of subscribers if the views are the same.

If my channel has one million views and your channel has one million views, then we will probably have earned the same amount of money (obviously, in practice this wouldn't happen as ad rates change for each click, each video/category type etc).

I have a fairly low subscriber rate for the total number of views no my channel. At the moment I'm at around 765 subscribers and 400,000 views. There are channels with 50,000 views who have 5,000 subscribers which means that I have made much more money than them.

Subscribers are still very important though.
    • When someone subscribes you are listed on their subscriptions page
    • Your videos are more likely to appear on their home page
    • Your videos are more likely to appear on their search results
    A higher subscriber total is very beneficial.

Many ad networks only accept channels with a certain number of subscribers. Having a large subscriber base also makes it an easy sell to advertisers as it shows your reach.

A channel's subscriber influences their ranking on YouTube. Just like views, the total number of subscribers of a channel is a major ranking factor for videos.

In this regard, a high subscriber count is telling YouTube that the channel is popular and that many people like it.

Therefore, if your channel has a high number of subscribers.
    • Your videos are more likely to appear on the home page of YouTube (especially if users have been viewing videos with similar content)
    • Your videos are more likely to appear higher in search results
    • Your videos are more likely to appear on related videos on the side of videos (related videos can provide a significant amount of traffic to channels)
    • Your channel is more likely to be displayed on other YouTube channels as a related channel
    • Social proof dictates that other people are more likely to subscribe (I know myself that I'm more likely to subscribe to a channel with a million subscribers than one with 150)
    At this point I have around 765 subscribers and 400,000 views.

If my channel had 5,000 subscribers and 400,000 views, then I would start seeing a huge increase in views to my videos because of additional traffic from the home page, subscriptions page, search results page, related videos, and related channels.

All of this makes a huge different to the success of a channel.

This time next month I could have 500,000 views but with 5,000 subscribers that total could be 600,000 or 650,000 (I'm just pulling these numbers out of thin air, but you get my point) :)

You also need to remember how growth on YouTube is exponential. More views means more people commenting and more people sharing videos.

Comments and shares are two other ranking factors for videos so this can, in turn, lead to thousands of more views. These views may convince more people to subscribe, which in turn leads to more views (and so on and so on).

Again, subscribers do not tell the full story of a channel.

Take my channel for example.

My channel mainly focuses on technology and gaming (which are closely related). If I was to only focus on one particular topic rather than the broad topic of technology, I would have more subscribers.

For example, if my channel only posted videos about action cameras, I reckon my channel could have tens of thousands of subscribers at this point as all of my content would be focused no action cameras. People who were interested in action cameras would be very likely to subscribe as they know that I regularly publish action camera reviews and tutorials.

However, in addition to action cameras I publish videos about cameras, microphones, gaming, computing, and more. Being focused on more topics means people are less likely to subscribe.

Looking at it the other way, a channel that publishes about many different technology topics attracts subscribers from a wide audience so I can generate views from many different people.

I've made a lot of mistakes along the way in my YouTube journey; but it's not something I get hung up on as I still consider myself a beginner. I'm learning more every month and a few years down the line I will undoubtedly be more knowledgeable in this area.

:)

Kevin

6. Yikes what a reply!

Wouldn't this also depend on your audience? If you audience is little children, then it makes sense to constantly remind them to like/share because they don't know to one way or another yet. However, if your audience is more computer-savvy than most - which is what I would be the case for web development channels - then asking for a like/subscribe comes across as spammy. Maddox had the following as an April Fools joke a few years ago:

Personally, if I find someone interesting (whatever the media), I'll find out more about them. I'm more invested in them than your typical subscriber who needs to be told when new content is available. I would think this is more valuable on a per-user level (I'm more likely to reply, comment, etc.), although I'm certain at scale zombie users (subscribers) are more valuable.

I think this goes with my previous point - if you want viral numbers, you don't want thought - all you want/need is for your audience to go "ermahgod" and share, as opposed to trying to start a conversation.

If anything, I'd think this makes your channel even more valuable since your traffic is arguably more organic than someone who needs to be told on their youtube homepage to go watch a video. It presents a problem in that you need to put in more work to prove it, but your numbers seem to indicate your channel has more potential.

Agree with all of these points :)

How valuable are those "SoOoOoO FuNny!" comments? When actual thought goes into the comments, a community can form and that will grow your viewership, but I'm not sure "haha" comments really do anything.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  7. Yeah short "Thanks" or ":)" style comments don't really add much to the discussion.

For the most part, the comments I receive are good. People are polite, ask questions, and give their own opinion.

That is perhaps due to the nature of my videos. They tend to be reviews and tutorials.

But there is no avoiding trolls and assholes.

For example, I did a speedtest comparing two hard drives for the PS4.

The actual specs of the hard drives were quite irrelevant to the test itself, but I copied them from the sales page of the shop I bought the hard drive from online.

There was some conflicting information about how much cache the hard drive and some other specs, but the specs shown on the sales page was the same on lots of other websites such as Amazon etc.

Due to this, I received lots of trolling comments. Honestly, the type of replies I got was ridiculous.

Despite linking to all my sources (something that few other YouTubers do), I received comments like "Are you an idiot? It's 128MB, not 64MB?" "You didn't even research this video!".

It's quite funny how quickly people will comment if they see a mistake. I quickly acknowledged the fact the specs on the sales page of the shop I bought the hard drive were inaccurate but people still left negative comments.

With regards to my channel, there are pros and cons to posting a wide range of topics.

In a lot of my videos I am providing an answer to a question via a tutorial or via a video. The nature of that means that a lot of views come from people finding a solution in one of my videos and then moving on.

I faced a similar issue with my former blog WP Mods. I posted lots of tutorials and theme lists. Despite generating more traffic than my previous blog BloggingTips, the subscriber rate was considerably less.

On my YouTube channel I set some goals this year to reach a certain number of subscribers. It's just a target to give me something to aim for.

However, the real target is to increase my average daily view count. That's the metric that is the most important.

Over the last 28 days I've averaged 2,300 views per day. If CPM rates remain the same, then I need to get to around 30,000 views per day to earn $1,000 per month.

That seems like a target that will be difficult to reach, but its important to remember that growth is exponential.

To illustrate this point, look at the view growth of my channel over the last year.

Screenshot_20170219-005811~2.png

This screenshot is perhaps a better illustration on how views can increase over time.

Screenshot_20170219-010940~2.png

It took me from around August 2016 to December 2016 to go from 500 daily views to 1,000 daily views and now in February 2017 I'm at around 2,300 per day.

I'm not sure how my view growth is going to continue, but I'm hoping that increase to 5,000 daily views within the next few months and then go to 10,000 views a few months after.

As my view and subscriber total increases I should see the average views of my videos increase quite a bit so when you consider all that my target of 30,000 daily views becomes more realistic.

Both the subscriber and view goals are nothing but carrots in front of me. It's just something for me to aim for.

I really enjoy making videos for YouTube so I know it's something I will continue doing regardless of whether my performance is worse or better than my expectations.

I also know that I'm still a beginner. I'm still making mistakes and the still a lot of things for me to learn about production such as improving lighting, recording, editing, equipment etc. I'm quite passionate about it all so I'm sure I'm on the right track.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.